Thursday 16 October 2014

Why I LOVE photography

There are so many photographs, ones you see everyday and don't even think about, the ones that tell you a story or the ones that fill your heart with joy. There are loads more and it would be impossible to talk about them all (although I have a lot of blog posts to do so you never know)

I want to talk about my favourite, the ones that didn't take days to organise, didn't need an art director a makeup artist and a complicated brief. My favourites are the ones that happen, without too much planning, without lots of direction but are those moments that in 10 years, 20 years and longer they will be seen and make people smile.

Family photos are at the very heart of what I do, I get a lot of joy with other clients but there is a very special thing that happens when families are together, when they relax, giggle, tease each other and hug, when they smile at the same thing, know their next moves, play the same games and laugh together. When I capture that I am really happy, just being part of that is amazing but when you get to hold that in a photograph forever for someone that truly is a blessing.

I like to go places that are special to families, places they have been before, spent fun times, where they know the best places to go, to sit, to climb and to relax. It could be their favourite park, the forest, the beach, you get the idea. The hard work is already done then, they want to be there, they can just be themselves, they don't have to find a grin and hold a funny pose because they can just be.



I have spent some of the best times doing this, getting a glimpse into these families lives, it is amazing how quickly they talk to you differently, they let you join in, for a short time you get to stop being an observer and become part of the family, enjoy the jokes, smile at the same time and quickly get a sense of what makes them tick.

You know you have captured something magical, something they will love, hang on their wall, share with Grandparents, stick on their fridge and have printed onto a mug. Childrens children will see that moment, that family and see where they came from and why they are so special.

That is why I LOVE photography, the simple stuff.


3 comments:

  1. My most favorite pictures are the ones that I didn't know where being taken! I have twin 19 month old nephews and let me say that the funniest and happiest pictures are the unplanned ones!

    www.thegreengiftcompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, I love the ones of my sons when they are so absorbed in the moment they don't even know I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your passion for photography really resinates through this post. Capturing the simple things in life can bring so much joy!

    Arica
    www.varnakandlollies.com

    ReplyDelete